Website owned and operated by the:
New York Central Railroad
The NYC RR caboose #19086 was acquired about the same time as the train from the Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad - April, 1954. It was one of four cabooses on display at Rail City but there are no records indicating its origin. Dr. Groman worked very closely with representatives of the NYC RR and acquired many structures from the railroad consisting of depots, ice houses, freight houses, tool sheds, water tanks, one water tower, to mention only a few. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that he added this caboose to his museum but the location above remains a mystery at this time.
"The first steam-operating railroad museum in the U.S.A."
Pictured above is the New York Central 19000 series caboose acquired from the NYC RR at an unknown location. This caboose made the Final Steam Passenger Run on the New York Central RR on June 6, 1954. In addition, it was part of the consist making the Canandaigua to Syracuse run on May 29, 1954. But the location it was acquired from is not known other than to assume that it was acquired at or near Canandaigua, NY to have made the two final trips on the New York Central track. [Photo by Stanley Groman, RCHM Photo Collection]
Caboose #19086 from the New York Central Railroad shortly after Rail City's grand opening on July 4, 1955. In addition to a fresh coat of paint, the caboose was renovated with new siding, window frames and windows.